Sunday, January 27, 2013

Spaghetti Sauce, by John Rietz

I don't measure when I make this, so proportions are inexact.


  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped (reserve 2 tablespoons for meatballs, if using my recipe)
  • 1 green or (better yet) red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
  • 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional, it makes the sauce pleasantly spicy)
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1/3 cup Italian herb blend
  • 3 28-oz. cans of tomatoes or sauce (I really like Dei Fratelli brand tomato sauce--Busch's or Kroger, but not always available, for some reason)
  • 1 4-oz. can of tomato paste (reserve 2 tablespoons for meatballs, if using my recipe)
  • 3 or 4 tablespoons sugar


Brown onion, garlic, and peppers in olive oil.  Add remaining ingredients except for the salt.  Bring to boil on a medium heat, then reduce to simmer for 2 (at least) or 3 (best) hours, stirring occasionally.  If too thin, leave lid off for a while; if too thick, add a little red wine.  Salt to taste just before serving.  If you are making meatballs, add them at this point, including (if you dare) the pan drippings.

1 comment: