Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Penne with sausage and kale by Randy

1 lb. Penne rigate
2 bunches of kale, deribbed and cut into modest size pieces
Garlic (to your liking,  around 3-4 cloves for me)
Packaged soy sausage (can't recall the brand but all the gorceries carry it)
Parmesan cheese
Crushed red peppers if you like that sort of thing)

I wok the kale in olive oil (be generous, the oil keeps things moist) after quickly frying the garlic placed in the hot oil for about a minute. I stir over med-hi heat almost continuously for about 10-12 minutes, really until the kale is cooked but not wilty as I like my kale with some body. I salt and pepper as it cooks. Cook pasta as indicated. After done and just prior to adding sausage and kale I douse the cooked pasta with olive oil to keep separated. For the sausage, it comes in a somewhat gross sticky clump, so I cut it up  into chunks although it still adheres, and then sauté in olive and some garlic (sauté the garlic first for about a minute), continually breaking up the chunks into small pieces until cooked and slightly browned. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, top with generous portions of cheese and (if desired) crushed peppers. This is typically enough for 2 meals for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment